Colorado Estate Planning, Probate, Estate Administration, Humane Divorce and Tax Planning
At the law firm JR Phillips & Associates, P.C., conveniently located in the southern Denver suburb of Centennial, Colorado, our attorneys provide competent, caring, professional and affordable legal services to clients in the south Denver metro area in these main areas of law:
- Estate planning: We draft wills, living trusts, powers of attorney and living wills to meet your goals. Everyone from age 18 on needs a basic estate plan. As your life changes, your estate plan needs to change accordingly to protect your assets and loved ones. From basic document to sophisticated planning, we can help you assess your needs and provide the most appropriate solutions.
- Estate and Gift Taxation: Most often, the default situation will not save unnecessary taxation. The general rule is that tax savings are the reward for good planning. We teach this area of the law and can help you keep as much in your pocket as possible.
- Probate, estate administration and trust administration: Death inherently leads to changed ownership. Whether through operation of contract or law, by Will or Trust, there are things that must be done, and done correctly. In addition, there may be tax implications. We provide full services for probate, contested probate, estate administration, trust administration, and estate tax. Whenever someone dies with assets that did not pass automatically to beneficiaries (such as assets held in joint tenancy, with beneficiary designation or paid on death/transferred on death) probate is required. Our lawyers can assist with the process.
- Elder law: Once you reach age 60, there is more urgency to plan for events such as incapacity, nursing home admission, guardianship and death of a spouse. The issues of growing older are many and can be complex. We understand and work in the interrelated disciplines necessary to get through these difficulties.
- Conservatorship and Guardianship: There are times when the authority of the State is needed to protect someone. This could be due to physical or mental incapacity or to protect a person and/or their assets from themselves or from inappropriate outside forces. Our attorneys go to court in all counties of Colorado as may be necessary to make sure that your loved one is protected
- Mediated divorce: Death of a relationship has much in common with the death of a loved one. Often, the emotional issues overwhelm the technical issues. If a Dissolution of a marriage is inevitable, it doesn’t have to drain your assets and emotions. We actively engage couples wishing to save as much as they can of their money, sanity, and emotional well-being. This mediation-based approach can help you get through this most difficult of times with the least amount of damage.
- IRA Rescue: Most people do not realize that if they have both an IRA (or 401k or any other tax-deferred retirement plan) as well as a taxable estate, at death, the IRA could lose up to 70 percent of its value to your taxes. We have safe and secure methods to minimize this loss and maximize the amount you leave your heirs.
Firm founder attorney John R. Phillips is also a Certified Financial Planner and adjunct professor at Metropolitan State College of Denver. Mr. Phillips has written and taught continuing education courses for attorneys, certified public accountants, certified financial planners, stockbrokers, enrolled agents, insurance professionals and trust officers.
Our lawyers do more than guide our clients to a resolution of their legal issues. We also educate our clients so they can make informed decisions.
“You addressed the special needs of my end of life concerns with understanding and knowledge of community resources which have been included in my living will. The entire process was efficiently concluded which reflects well on your legal services and gives me confidence that my wishes will be carried out.” – John R.
“Justin, I don’t envy you if this has been a typical Estate Settlement argument. Particularly if you must deal with the arrogance of a ….. You’ve been absolutely great helping and advising me. At some point I will get with you regarding a proper Will for myself. Next time I’m in Denver I’ll be certain to set aside the time to do so. I have been confident throughout this entire sordid affair that I have received excellent advice from yourself and Mr. Phillips. Your fees were entirely appropriate and I walk away from this unhappy period, not only with my head held high (thanks to your counsel) but also secure in the knowledge that I received far better counsel than the Trustee through the … firm. Thanks.” – Dennis F.
“John was extremely thorough in vetting out OUR wishes and requests and guiding us to the proper way to achieve them by raising questions specific to our needs and showing us options at different junctures … Time was never hurried and we were given options along the way as to how … we chose to structure our documents.”
Call Today for a Free Attorney Consultation
Call 303-741-2400 or fill out the contact form on this website to schedule a no-cost, no-obligation consultation.